Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thursday: What To Do With Grey Areas

"For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."     Romans 14:17

Paul is addressing the issue of being a stumbling block to others. What Paul says earlier in the chapter is that we are not to pass judgment on others and we should not cause others to stumble. In the Jewish custom and the Mosaic Law there was a list of things that were considered unclean and were not to be eaten by the Israelites. However, now though Jesus nothing is unclean in itself (v.14). But Paul says that it is unclean for anyone who thinks it is unclean. This means that if you have a conviction it is wrong for you to give into that conviction even though it may not be scripturally wrong. We are not to do things, say things or consume things that may cause another to stumble. For example if you consume wine socially for formal dinners it is not wrong according to scripture. However, it is wrong to consume wine in front of a newly converted believer who has come from a rough alcoholic past. It is important that we understand that it is not about what we do or don't eat, but about pleasing God (righteousness) and living in peace and experiencing true joy. All of this comes from the Holy Spirit. What this means is that our purpose is to please God and not to debate what the Bible says we can or cannot do. Areas such as "is it okay to drink," the Bible is clear about not getting drunk, but it is not clear about social drinking. When we debate these issues we can become to legalistic and people will say "well the Bible doesn't say it's wrong to drink so I'm going to drink and no one can tell me otherwise," meanwhile they miss the entire principle. The question is are we pleasing God or not? I do not think there will ever be a time where I can drink without causing someone else to struggle unless in the future my wife and I have a romantic dinner with a bit of wine. Am I saying the consumption of alcohol alone is wrong? No, it is what alcohol does that is wrong and there is no one who can argue that alcohol pleases God. It causes people to act totally different. In all we do we are to please God not only with our actions but with our intensions. Is it wrong to have a good time? No. Is it wrong to have a good time that does not please God? Yes. If you aren't sure whether or not something is wrong, it is sin to go against your conviction. For example: American's I find say the word "pissed" a lot. Is this wrong? I don't know. I grew up where this was swearing and used for cursing. Therefore it is wrong for me to say this, but I don't judge those who do.

Just remember:
In all we do we are to please God not only with our actions but with our intensions
_

3 comments:

  1. Good post jon. Now when does ones convictions from childhood become their own? Let me rephrase. As you used the example of the word "pissed", you stated you'd feel guilty because of how you had been brought up. Now while this may also be your own conviction, generally speaking while our parents did their best to bring us up, we may find different convictions to hold to as we study the Word. So when we feel "guilt" because we betrayed our "parents convictions" is this the same as betraying our own convictions? Chad and I had a good talk about this the other night so I'm curious as to what you think. Do we feel guilty because of the laws our parents have instilled in us or because of what the Spirit has showed us? This is in no way a direct comment on your use or non-use of the word "pissed" but a general statement on all convictions on gray areas we may have. Lemme know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think that one cannot remain under their parents convictions forever. There is a point when we need to study the Bible and its truths for ourselves. Especially when it comes to the church and salvation. We need to know what we believe, I have been doing this over the past 3 years and still continue to sort out what I know as truth and my own conviction and what I assume based to my upbringing (home church and parents). With the word "pissed" this is not something that is my parents conviction, but my own because of how it has been used by my friends back home and that I simply believe there are other words I can use. Another conviction I have is using the word awesome. In no way is this a word that is looked down upon by anyone. I simply have chosen to challenge myself to use this word solely when referring the God Almighty. As important it is that we obey our parents we need to develop our own convictions. I think that when it comes to following our parents convictions we are simply held accountable for obedience to our parents. If we aren't under the same conviction and we are still under their authority we need to submit to that. However, when you move away from home you aren't exactly under your parents authority anymore. I mean technically you could do anything you want cause you have grown up and are beginning to develop your own life. This doesn't mean rebel from everything you have been taught, but it means that we need to understand for ourselves the Word of God and have our own convictions. I really think that we should start doing this much before we leave home, but it is when we leave home that it really comes into play. So betraying your parents convictions is wrong when you are under their authority because it is disobedience. But when you move out if you are going to betray their convictions you first need to figure out why they had such a conviction and if it isn't a matter of right or wrong and you aren't convicted over the same issue then I don't think it is wrong to leave that conviction because you would be following it in vein, half-heartedly. This is where tradition and religion can potentially spoil things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very interesting stuff guys. James that is a really thought provoking question. One that I had never really acknowledged or tried to answer at all. After reading Jon's response I think I have to agree. It's funny that you bring up this topic exactly a week before I turn 21. I have to admit, I really need to put a lot of thought into this within the next few days. I agree with Jon when he said that there will probably "never be a time that I will be able to drink without causing someone else to struggle". This being the case, I'm not going to go out and have a drink and I am sure I will be asked why. I am going to have to be able to explain to people why I have these convictions.

    ReplyDelete