Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday: Impressing a Perfect God

1 Peter 5:6-7: "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he care for you."

I was reminded yesterday at convocation of a very important truth, God is not looking to see how many mountains we can climb ourselves, he simply is looking for us to reach out for His hand. Many times I find myself trying to prove myself righteous before God, when it comes to theological issues I can often try to figure out what is right and how I can support and prove that what I believe is right. The fact is so many times I reach a conclusion and realize that I forgot to consult God personally. I figure I think I know what God is trying to say in scripture without actually asking Him to reveal this to me. God has not called us to do anything on our own because inevitably we are unable to. God has simply called us to reach out our hand and grab hold of His for He cares for us.

Deism is the belief that God created the world and then abandoned humans to fend for themselves. This goes completely against what Peter is saying in chapter five, verse seven. God wants us to look to Him in times of difficulty and cast our burdens on Him because He loves us. God never expects us to do anything on our own because we are simply unable to. The fact that man is totally deprived proves that we are unable to do any good without His intervention. As sinners there is not way we were able to initiate salvation because of our sinful nature, this is the job of the Holy Spirit through conviction (1Thess. 1:5). If this is true and we are unable to initiate a relationship with God, then how are we able to please Him under our own strength?

James writes that if anyone lack wisdom let him ask of God (Jms. 1:5). This is because any knowledge or wisdom gained apart from God is not of God, therefore it is foolishness. In no way will we ever please or glorify God on our own for our nature is sinful and anything we desire apart from God is sin, as saint who are renewed in Christ Jesus we desire righteousness through the blood of Christ under His power and His strength over sin. You cannot impress a perfect God, for He is perfect, what can you do that He cannot do infinite times greater? However, allowing Him to do things through you bring Him glory.

Remember this: "any knowledge or wisdom gained apart from God is not of God, therefore it is foolishness"

No comments:

Post a Comment